Rules for the Guidance of the Sikh Advisory Board
1. The Board shall be known as “The Sikh Advisory Board”.
2. The functions of the Board will be to advise the Minister on matters concerning the Sikh religion and customs and the general welfare of the Sikh community.
3. Members. The Board shall comprise 17 members to be appointed by the Minister as follows:
a. Central Sikh Gurdwara Board – 2 representatives
b. Government Nominees – 4 representatives
c. Gurdwara Sahib Yishun – 2 representatives
d. Khalsa Dharmak Sabha – 2 representatives
e. Khalsa Jiwan Sudhar Sabha – 1 representative
f. Pardesi Khalsa Dharmak Diwan – 2 representatives
g. Sri Guru Nanak Sat Sang Sabha – 2 representatives
h. Sri Guru Singh Sabha – 2 representatives
4. Term of Membership. Members of the Board shall hold office for a term of three years after which the whole Board shall be re-appointed. Members shall be eligible for re-appointment if re-nominated by their respective Societies or by the Minister but no member nominated by the Minister shall be appointed for more than three consecutive terms.
5. Insufficient Nominees. Should any of the abovementioned societies refuse to nominate the number of representatives requested by the relevant Ministry charged with the responsibility for the Sikh Advisory Board may appoint any person or persons from that section of the community and complete the Board.
6. Chairman and Secretary. The Board shall have a Chairman and a Secretary elected by members of the Board from amongst themselves.
Meetings and Votes
7. Notice of Meeting & Agenda.
a. Notice of every Board meeting shall be given by the Secretary to each member of the Board resident in Singapore stating the date and hour of the meeting and the subject to be put before the Board.
b. The Secretary may call a meeting at any time and shall do so at any time on receipt of a written request signed by three members of the Board and stating the subject which it is desired to discuss.
c. The Chairman shall decide whether any subject falls within the functions of the Board. Should the Chairman decline to submit any subject to the Board when requested in writing by the three members so to do, such members may require that their written application be recorded in the minutes and that a copy of these minutes shall be forwarded to the Minister for his instructions thereon.
d. Not less than three days’ notice shall be given of any meeting.
8. Venue of Meeting. Meeting of the Board shall be held at such place as the Chairman may decide.
9. Quorum. Nine members present at a meeting shall form a quorum.
a. Each member present at a meeting shall have one vote and where the votes are equal the Chairman shall have a casting vote as well as an original vote.
b. No member shall vote by proxy.
11. Minutes of Meeting. Minutes of the proceedings of the Board shall be recorded and after confirmation by a majority of the Board shall be signed by the Chairman. A copy of the confirmed minutes shall be submitted to the Minister for information.
Absence, Vacancy and Resignation
12. Absence, Vacancy and Resignation.
a. All meetings of the Board shall be presided over by the Chairman and in his absence, the members present shall elect a temporary Chairman to conduct the meeting.
b. Any member who without reasonable excuse to be approved by the Board and recorded in the proceedings of the Board shall be absent from three of the ordinary meetings consecutively shall vacate his place on the Board. The Chairman shall ask the Minister to fill the vacancy.
c. Any member who is absent from Singapore for twelve months shall vacate his office and the Chairman shall ask the Minister to fill the vacancy.
d. Any member may at any time resign from the Board by sending his resignation to the Minister.
e. The Chairman may resign from office without resigning from the Board and the Board will fill the vacancy from amongst the other members of the Board.
13. Amendments of Rules.
a. These Rules shall come in force on approval by the Minister. No alterations in these Rules may be made without the approval of the Minister.
b. Subject to these rules the Board may regulate its procedure as the Board may think fit.